Glen Rose is a city in and the county seat of Somervell County, Texas. The area was first settled in 1849 by Charles Barnard, who opened a trading post near Comanche Peak. A three-story stone gristmill was constructed along the Paluxy River and the town that grew up around it became known as Barnard's Mill. Jordan's wife, a native of Scotland, decided to rename the town Rose Glen to reflect the area's natural surroundings. The citizens later voted to call the community Glen Rose.